Tuesday, 14 May 2013

CF Superhero Supplements: Chlorella



Chlorella (Chlorella pyrenoidosa) is a single cell freshwater green algae. It's so tiny (microscopic) that you need a microscope to see it! The name 'Chlorella comes from 'Chlorophyll', Chlorella happens to contain the highest content of it in any plant. In addition to this is also contains a huge number of vitamins, minerals, dietary fibre, nucleic acids, amino acids, enzymes & CGF (Chlorella Growth Factor) and more... hence being dubbed a 'Super-food' and rightfully so!

What's in Chlorella?

Chlorella Under the Microscope


General:
  • Moisture.... 3.6 %
  • Protein.... 60.5 %
  • Fat.... 11.0 %
  • Carbohydrate.... 20 %
  • Fiber.... 0.2 %
  • Ash.... 4.6 %
  • Calories.... 421 /100g
Vitamins and Minerals:
  • Vitamin A Activity .... 55,500.0   IU/100g
  • B Carontene ....................180.8   mg/100g
  • Chlorophyll a ...............1,469.0   mg/100g
  • Chlorophyll b ..................613.0   mg/100g
  • Thiamine (Vit B-1)................1.5   mg/100g 
  • Riboflavin (Vit B-2) .............4.8   mg/100g
  • Pyridoxine (Vit B-6) ............1.7   mg/100g
  • Vitamin B-12 ....................125.9   mcg/100g
  • Vitamin C ............................15.6   mg/100g
  • Vitamin D..............................910   mg/100g
  • Vitamin E .......................... < 1.0    IU/100g
  • Vitamin K..............................1.12   mg/100g
  • Niacin...................................23.8    mg/100g
  • Pantothenic Acid.................1.3    mg/100g
  • Folic acid...............................2.4    mg/100g
  • Biotin..................................191.6    mcg/100g
  • PABA......................................0.6    mg/100g
  • Inositol...............................165.0    mg/100g
  • Calcium.............................203.0    mg/100g
  • Phosphorus.....................989.0    mg/100g
  • Iodine ................................600.0    mcg/100g
  • Magnesium ......................315.0    mg/100g
  • Iron ....................................167.0    mg/100g
  • Zinc.......................................71.0    mg/100g
  • Copper 0.08........................0.08    mg/100g
Amino Acids:
(expressed in 'W/W %'. w/w- an abbreviation for "by weight," used in chemistry and pharmacology to describe the concentration of a substance in a mixture or solution)

  • Lysine....................3.46
  • Histidine................1.29
  • Arganine...............3.64
  • Aspartic acid........5.20
  • Threonine.............2.70
  • Serine....................2.78
  • Glutamic acid.......6.29
  • Proline...................2.93
  • Glycine..................3.40
  • Alanine..................4.80
  • Cystine..................0.38
  • Valine.....................3.64
  • Methionine............1.45
  • Isoleucine..............2.63
  • Leucine..................5.26
  • Tyrosine.................2.09
  • Phenylalanine.......3.08
  • Ornithine................0.06
  • Tryptophane.........0.59

Fatty Acids:
  • Omega- 3 Fatty acids....54 mg
  • Omega- 6 fatty acids ....56 mg
  • C 14:0.................0.6%
  • C 14:1.................0.9%
  • C 14:2.................0.9%
  • C 16:0...............15.6%
  • C 16:1..................9.1%
  • C 16:2..................5.5%
  • C 16:3................17.1%
  • C 18:0..................2.0%
  • C 18:1................10.0%
  • C 18:2................15.5%
  • C 18:3................22.8%
Assay performed by Japan Dairy Technical Association, Tokyo.


The reasons I chose take Chlorella


Chlorella Tablets


# 1. Chlorella growth Factor (CGF) is a nucleotide-peptide complex of substances found only in chlorella. Nucleic acids are the basic building blocks of life, and are critical to keeping your natural defense system working in peak condition. Studies have show that CGF can enhance your body's natural defense system activity, help to remove the multitude of impurities in your body, and renew cellular strength and integrity. CGF promotes faster than normal growth. The DNA and RNA we eat do not directly replace human cellular DNA and RNA, but their amino acid combinations after digestion and assimilation immediately provide the "building blocks" for repair of our genetic material. Scientists are documenting its potent cancer fighting abilities including its ability to repair damage to DNA and influence gene expression.
 Chlorella influences how genes express themselves! By taking Chlorella extract (a concentrated form of CGF) with tablet/powder of chlorella it increases the efficiency, giving quicker results. Wound healing is acceleration by 24% in most cases.
My CF Goal for taking it: Heal & Reverse Bronchiectasis (Damaged Lung Tissue)



#2. ImmunityImmunology studies have show Chlorella to stimulate B-Cells (bacteria fighters) T-Cells (virus & cancer fighters) & Marcrophages (large cells that are located in tissue such as liver, lungs, lymph nodes, thymus, abdominal, blood,bone marrow etc.). Macrophages clean things up (this process is called phagocytosis). Since there is only a finite amount of macrophages in one persons body it makes the clean up process limited. Studies have shown that Chlorella stimulate the immune system by way of macrophage stimulation.

#3. Oxygenation. Chlorella cleans the bloodstream. Hemoglobin is the protein in our red blood cells which binds with oxygen and gives blood its bright red colorChlorophyll cells are nearly identical to hemoglobin, with one exception: chlorophyll has a magnesium molecule at its centre while hemoglobin has an iron molecule at the centre of it. Chlorophyll is effective to strengthen the body against anemia and stimulates the production of red blood cells in the body. It also helps carry oxygen around the body and to the brain. Red blood cells are essential for a strong natural defence system and blood/tissue oxygenation. 


#4. Protect good bacteria/Protect against bad bacteria. Chlorella is not a killer of bacteria per-say, but does have a definite anti-bacteral growth action and displays some bacteriocidal effects against certain organisms under the right conditions. It does promote good intestinal bacteria (lactobacillus) to grow at 4 times faster than normal!

#5. Liver Health. Chlorella has been proven to protect the liver from toxic injury due to ethionine. The livers detoxification process is enhanced by chlorella. (a good thing while taking Kalydeco. Kalydeco can effect the liver adversely, long term side effects are still unknown. I take Chlorella as a preventive)

#6. Bowel Detoxification. Many studies have shown the link between poor bowel/intestinal health and chronic disease. Clearly with CF this is an issue. I personally have found that when my gut health is looked after, my overall health is better. Chlorella can clear bowel toxicity within a few days of taking it.

#7 Infection control. Chlorella induces higher levels of interferon (a natural secretion of the body thought to be a simulator of macrophages). Interferon has been shown to promote the killing of many kinds of bacteria: Toxoplasmosis, Leishmaniasis, Listeria, Mycobacterium intracellulare (associated with chronic Lung Disease) and Mycpbacterium leprae (leprosy). It also prevents pneumonia.

#8. Enzymes. Chlorella contains digestive enzymes such as chlorophyllase and pepsin, plus more... 

#9. Amino Acids. My second CF gene (G1123R) is involved (or causes problems) with amino acid function, the more naturally occurring amino acids I can get the better!

#10.Pancreatic Health. Chlorella helps pancreatitus, which is inflammation of the pancreas and Chlorella promote healthy blood sugar levels


So there are just some of the reasons I take it (yes there are more!). Beneath I will add links to some of the studies and articles I have read on Chlorella. As an anecdotal testimony I can say I am MUCH healthier when I take Chlorella than when I don't! I started high dose's of Chlorella when I was told to have a transplant (2009) for the simple fact I wished to accelerate the healing of my advanced lung disease and preserve any healthy tissue too (stop the bronchiectasis spreading rapidly) . If I had any natural chance of doing this I new Chlorophyll needed to be used/involved (as it was when I avoided lungs, liver & heart transplants at the age of 16). In my experience Chlorella is the closest natural thing I can take, next to Stem Cell therapy. Along with healthy diet and lifestyle (all the things I have covered in my blog previously), Chlorella has truly been the building blocks to my health over the past 19 years (in particular). I have used it on and off (a fact I regret as I believe I should have been taking it non stop!), but regularly once starting Kalydeco,  to once again build back my lungs. Early on on Kalydeco I peaked to FEV 65% the dropped almost immediately to 50% when I ran out and forgot to get more, I was hovering between 45%-55% for the last 9 months. I started again 7 weeks ago and I have gone back up to the 65% plus added to it!! There is no doubt in my mind there is a connection. With the help of Klaydeco correcting my G551D gene, it has accelerated the time frame in which I would have improved, but I still am convinced that even without Kalydeco, Chlorella builds back health, no doubt slower, but still does it. When I was 16 it took me a good 5 years to feel strong again regain my FEV to 50% at the age of 21. So you can see that Kalyeco has certainly made this process quicker/easier! 

Bottom line: On kalydeco, without chlorella, I was consistently going down in health, albeit MUCH slower than I naturally would do!!! Once starting Chlorella with Kalydeco I am constantly improving!!! My FEV shot back up to 66.78%. I feel stronger everyday and as my CT scan shows, my Bronchiectasis is healing. In my books it's win/win!!!!

A Chlorella Pond




Some Further Reading



Feasibility of a Photosynthetic Artificial Lung: "To build a model of such a photosynthetic artificial lung, the photosynthetic capability of a high temperature strain of the algae Chlorella pyrenoidosa was maximized at a cell density of 25 million cells/ ml to serve as the O2 producer and CO2 remover."




Detoxification with Chlorella:



Studies of sulfate utilization by algae 18. identification of glutathione as a physiological carrier in assimilatory sulfate reduction by Chlorella:http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0304421178900019



Chlorella: The Ultimate Green Food: Nature's Richest Source of Chlorophyll:



Chlorella Super DNA Repair Systems:

Chlorella Library:


Identification of anti-lung cancer extract from Chlorella vulgarisC-C by antioxidant property using supercritical carbon dioxide extraction:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1359511310002047

Impact of Adjunctive Therapy with Chlorellav ulgaris Extract on Antioxidant Status, Pulmonary Function, and Clinical Symptoms of Patients with Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3447618/




Dietary Supplementation with Chlorella pyrenoidosa Produces Positive 
Results in Patients with Cancer or Suffering From Certain Common 
Chronic Illnesses:



RESEARCH STUDIES ON CHLORELLA GROWTH FACTOR C.G.F:"The height and weight of all the children were recorded on a regular basis. At the end of the experiment in which the test group received two grams of Chlorella daily (except on Sundays) for 112 days, the average increase for boys taking Chlorella was inch in height and 2.3 pounds in weight. The boys in the control group grew 0.6 inches in height and gained 1.6 pounds in weight. The girls of both groups gained an average of 0.9 inches in height, but the girls who took Chlorella gained an average of 4.2 pounds, while the controls gained 2.7 pounds."

http://chlorellagrowthfactor.co.uk/research-on-cgf/



Dr. Mercola Interviews Ginny Bank on Chlorella




Here's to you CF. Tables are Turning... Ciao!














14 comments:

  1. Hello Faye, thank you very much for this information! I'm the mother of an 11-year-old boy with CF and I have become a regular reader of your blog, I think it's exceptional!

    Could I please ask you a question about the chlorella supplements? I understand you have chosen to use the Sun Chlorella 200 mg tablets? Did you consider other products? I'm trying to find a product that would be very quick and easy to take, and preferably in a capsule - my son is not keen on supplements! I noticed Solgar has a 500 mg capsule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eva :)

      Thank you for your support, Lovely to hear from you!!

      Yes, I have chosen Sun Chlorella as it's considered one of the best, however there are MANY good brand available. I recently came across a brand called ChlorellaFella.com and I intend to give them a trey once I use up my Sun Chlorella. Main thing to look for is that is 100% Chlorella pyrenoidosa & that the Cell wall has been broken/cracked (otherwise it's indigestible!). I prefer smaller dosed tablets as you can control more how much you are taking. It's important to follow the instruction by the manufacturer. A good brand always recommends starting on a low dose and build up to the desired dosage and the importance of hydration whilst taking chlorella. For instance with Sun Chlorella it's recommended that children under 15 take one tablet to each year of their life (so for an 11 year old you'd take 11 tablets of 200mg a day) However you must build up to that full dose, one a day until you reach 11 is recommended. Keep learning, I wish you all the best with your search and all the very best of health for your son!!! I am always happy to answer questions.. Faye xo

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much Faye! I decided to order the Sun Chlorella because my son loves Japanese food - I'm glad he is growing up during the sushi boom - and it was pretty easy to convince him to try his 'Japanese greens' :)

    Eeva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time Eeva!!

      My boys LOVE Sushi too!! Family favorite :)
      I hope your son experiences good health benefits from Chlorella. 'Sun Chlorella' is the best brand, it's 95% digestible, so you've made a good choice!

      Take care & best wishes,

      Faye xo

      Delete
  3. Hi Faye! Ive just started reading your blogs.. very interesting!! Can you please tell me where you order your chlorella from? Also, where do you order selenium from?


    Thanks

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelli,
      Lovely to hear from you!

      Sure, I take Sun Chlorella at the moment & Sun Chlorella Gold (Chlorella)Extract.
      I have been looking into more affordable options & found ChlorellaFella.com & another called 'Clean Chlorella', both look like quality brands. I will be trying Clean Chlorella next order...
      I buy my selenium from iherb.com there are many good brands to chose from.

      Make sure you research how to take both (or follow the packet)!

      Thank you for your feed back! If you try it, I would love to hear how you find taking Chlorella, please do keep me posted! Faye :)

      Delete
  4. "My CF Goal for taking it: Heal & Reverse Bronchiectasis (Damaged Lung Tissue)"

    Your bronchiectases are already "healed". "Healed" with scar tissue, but healed nonetheless. To reverse them, your body would need to start seeing scar tissue as not being an acceptable fix and to start replacing scar tissue with healthy lung tissue. It's something that just does not happen. Scar tissue is the body's way to repair damage that is too extensive to wait for normal tissue cells to be produced. Scar tissue is easier and faster to produce than normal cells. It's like an emergency solution. Without that process, you'd be dead. For the body to start producing normal cells, it has to "see" a wound. Scar tissue isn't seen as a wound.

    So Chlorella might prevent some future scarification, so it's worth taking it for that reason, but it won't reverse what has already been repaired.

    The only thing that might someday reverse bronchiectases is a therapy that triggers something inside lung scar tissue and that makes it turn into normal lung cells. They've done something similar recently with heart scar tissue, so we won't see anything concrete before 20 years from now.

    If chlorella really worked to repair scars, the cosmetic industry would be all over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Reader,
      You are welcome to think what you like, but CT scan's don't lie. People are free to decide. You have the right to have your objections, I have the right to say I know differently... we shall agree to disagree.

      I can have my goal, weather it comes true or not is my problem. Just because something has not been done before doesn't mean it will never happen. I was prepared to roll that dice & I am more than satisfied with the results thus far. Thank you :)

      Delete
    2. p.s. I am also on Vitamin E, C & A that dissolves scar tissue. (This is a basic example)See link: http://www.livestrong.com/article/10954-need-internal-scar-tissue/

      Delete
    3. How long have you had that lung damage that was later healed with chlorella?

      Delete
  5. Chlorella is just enriched with vitamins actually they are green foods which is actually a type of algae. I think both are good and both having a great benefits in the health world. You can easily used it as a food supplement if you are a vegetarian then it is the best option.

    Chlorella Powder Nutrition Facts

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate your blog and you have put a lot of information about Chlorella . The chlorella have a huge number of vitamins, nucleic acids,amino acids and minerals. Your also discuss more about reasons to chose take Chlorella. I wishing you good luck for all your efforts. To get more information visit here .. Chlorella Powder Nutrition Facts

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that the fact that you got out of puberty has more to do with avoiding transplant when you were 16 than chlorella. It is a known fact that children with CF hit a very rough patch once puberty sets in and that it can take take a huge toll on their health. It is very common for kids to experience a big decline and require more hospitalizations during puberty to finally "grow out of it" once they reach adulthood. Of course this doesn't negate what happened more recently with your health, but I think that it is a much better explanation for what happened during your teens, since it happens to many other cfers too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bronchiectasis has immune modulating properties and is used in the Bronchiectasis Natural Treatment such as cancer and diseases originating from immune deficiency.

    http://www.herbs-solutions-by-nature.com/Bronchiectasis.php

    ReplyDelete