Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Tumeric (aka: Curcumin)


Curcumin

This herb has been used in Aryuvedic medicine since Ayruveda began! I first discovered this amazing herb when I met an Indian doctor, Sashi, we started talking and I told him I had CF. He proceeded to tell me about how Ayruvedic doctor's treat healing and what they use for different ailments. He said that I should particularly look at having Curcumin. I was curious and went away to learn all about it. As soon as I realised what it does I started taking it and never looked back. Tumeric is a root plant, curcuminoids is the property it contains. Similar looking to ginger, but with a distinct bright golden yellow colour that stains anything it touches! Used fresh or powdered in almost every curry that comes from India and many other curries throughout Asia.



First and foremost Curcumin is a very powerful anti-oxidant. It protects our cells against free radical's and boosts immunity. It helps cardiovascular disorders, regulates blood pressure, aids fat metabolism, arthritis, memory and many many more things. However what I want to tell you about it it's effect for Cystic Fibrosis. If you google the subject you'll find many studies into curcumin that are very promising.

When I first started Curcumin is was astounding. An hour or so after taking it I had enormous amount of mucus to cough up, and it was easier to come up, much like after I nebulize Pulmozyme. To this day I have not found any other natural product that works in this way and I still experience the same effect today. 

Curcumin is an anti inflammatory. With CF there is constant inflammation all throughout our body, particularly the lungs. Because of the CFTR block our airways are constantly dehydrated, hence the inflammation. That was the biggest thing I noticed when starting Kalydeco, my lungs felt wet for the first time in my life, because the CFTR function was corrected = Hydration. So curcumin can assist in relieving inflammation right throughout our bodies.

Digestive aid. Curcumin is bitter by nature, help ulcers, IBS and digestive issues in the intestines and bowel. Normalizes bowel movements, helps constipation and indigestion.

Curcumin protect the liver. It's been know to regenerate damaged livers. It stimulates the digestive juices and bile production. It's used to shrink engorged hepatic ducts and improve gall bladder function. Herbalist use it to treat hepatitis, cirrhosis and jaundice. 

Curcumin is anti-fungal. Helpful to control side effects of drugs that cause Candida/thrush (which is a fungus)

EXPECTORANT: clears mucus from the lungs! Alleviates coughs and asthma. 

Anti Bacterial: Helps to control Pseudomonas levels

CFTR Regulator: Following links are to clinical studies into CF and Curcumin's effect on our airways:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17178710
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19740743

So there you have it! These are some of the reasons I'll never stop taking Curcumin, I only feel better taking it and am eternally grateful that Dr Sashi told me about it when he did. I take 4 capsules with meals 2 times a day. Please note: If you are prone to bleeding then take it very slowly and build up as curcumin thins blood much like aspirin. Also recently came across people sweating out a yellow colour (never happened to me) but if that's the case it's not harmful (just a hassle to clean) and your dose is most likely too high, you may wish to drop it back a bit.


One things for sure if you intend to use Curcumin for health it's best to find a good quality supplement that contains at least 500 curcuminoids. For children or anyone who finds taking tablets difficult, liquid Liposomal Curcumin is the easiest way to get take it with juice. Check the bottle for dosages, even better get yourself a good herbalist or ayruvedic doctor who can take you through it step by step. For the best and optimal health results best not to cook curcumin as it destroys some benefits, but cooking with turmeric is still a good thing to do.

My children take it and we regularly eat curry (at least once a week) We have acquired the taste for it, once to get used to the flavours other food actually start to lack character! At first my boys were cautious, starting on mango chicken only, now they have butter chicken, tika marsala, rogan josh, balti, and vinderloo!! (all homemade of course!) With poppadoms, pickles and yogurt/raita on the side or cream mixed in. They always feel good after and all the spices and herbs help to keep immunity up, any parasites under control and things regular in bathroom! It is an acquired taste to be sure, however I used to loathe curry, but now just thinking of them makes my mouth water!! You can adapt and learn to enjoy other cuisines whether your young or old, it's just a matter of perseverance, motivation and playing around with some different versions. No doubt though curry is so good for your system!

Acchī Bhūkha! (Bon Appetit!)






3 comments:

  1. Hi Faye, for me I take a daily dose of Curcumin as my supplements because of this potent anti-inflammatory properties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cory,
      I love to hear of others good health news! So glad Curcumin helps you in that way too. I agree, anti-inflammatory effects are one of the first benefits I noticed when I started taking Curcumin.
      Thank you for sharing, great to hear from you! :)

      Faye

      Delete
  2. "I take 4 capsules with meals 2 times a day..."

    Just to be sure, you are taking a total of 8 capsules each day?

    It looks like on that particular brand the suggested use is: "Take 1 capsule 2 to 3 times daily."

    I was curious how you got to the current dose you are at now? Did you start taking it and not notice any affects and kept adding more and more until you did?

    I just recently got some off Amazon and am trying to figure out a comparative dose.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete