Monday, 7 January 2013

Me Helpful Herbs

Herbs and Spices have been around since the Earth was created. Not only do they enhance the flavor of our food, they are one of the oldest forms of medicine know to man. When used correctly can be extremely helpful to our health. I have experienced this to be true, herbs played a big part of my growing up.



From the earliest age my mother prepared herbal teas for me which were so relieving for my symptoms, she always had a herb garden and did a herbalism course to maximise her knowledge on how to apply them best. Much like Peter rabbits mother putting him to bed with a chamomile tea, this was my childhood too. Always sweetened with honey and a squeeze of lemon. To this day when I have an awful flu all I feel like is hot herbal teas.



Click on  the name of the herb to discover more....


Sage : The name 'sage' comes from the Latin word "salvare" meaning 'save'. Right back in biblical time this herb was considered the most helpful herbs for health and was indeed the most used herb in ancient times. It's unique healing powers are said to come directly from the Virgin Mary. Sage is soothing stimulant to mucus membranes. Sages assists with respiratory infections, nasal congestion, coughs and sore throats, Also, aids liver and allieviate's indigestion.
        Sage




 Plantain: This funny little herb grows wild in the garden, often looks like a week (must be careful it is in fact plantain, not some other weed!) This herb is especially good for the lungs, Sooths airways, loosens phlegm, helps asthma, relieves whooping cough and tuberculosis.

Plantain



Comfrey: This is a very diverse herb. The leaves and root can be use for different purposes. I had comfrey for bronchitis, pleurisy and digestion. Also as an anti inflammatory.

Comfrey

Mallow: Relieves the mucus membranes of the upper respiratory systems particularly when your suffering from a cold or flu. It helps to calm down compulsive coughing, irritation and inflammation. Anti parasitic. Often grows wild. 

Mallow


Thyme: Thyme has been used since ancient times to ward off infections, it certainly has helped me so many time with respiratory infections or fevers. Has all the benefits of the herbs above, plus works similar to and antibiotic. Thyme contains 'Terpenes' which is know for it's antiseptic quality. (wonderful cooked in reduced red wine sauce, poured over roast beef, delicious!)

Thyme


Calendula: Sweet little flower that helps cut down fungus levels and candida (also know as thrush) levels. Quiet a common symptom after eating lots of sweet things and taking antibiotics.  

Calendulas

Yarrow: Traditionally know as a ladies herb, regulates lady issues (if you know what I mean!). In the olden days was called,"the cure for all ills". A bit unpleasant to taste, I must say, but very helpful.

Yarrow

Catnip: Is yummy! It helps make herbal teas taste good. Part of the mint family it helps to calm nerves, stress and gas!! It's a sedative... and yes cats love it! 

Cat loving Catnip!

Horsetail: Helps to stops hemoptysis.
Horsetail


Nettle: Helps blood. Cleanses and rebuilds blood. High in Iron, good for anaemia. Often grow wild, but be careful, it really dose sting when you pick it! (I wear gloves)

Stinging Nettle

Peppermint: Was found in the pyramids and I think I know why; It tastes good!! It's a very refreshing herb, relaxes and aids digestion. Settles upset tummy's and helps one get off to sleep. It naturally contains menthol which is widely use in cough syrups and lozenges for coughs and colds. 

Peppermint


There you have some herbs that have helped me through those tougher times in life, mostly I made them into herb teas. Bare in mind these are just European herbs, there are so many more to discover from all around the world (I haven't even mentioned spices!) Just this week I have discovered the Ayurveda herb called 'haritaki' which has been proven to kill pseudomonas. I have some on order and I'll let you know if it's spectacular! Keep in mind herbs are a gentle was to combat ailments. Not like antibiotics that bombard the system, herbal remedies build up over time, require patience and very much adapting to symptoms as you go. These herbs can be made into teas, tinctures, compresses or baths. 

To futher discover the amazing world of herbs go to: http://www.mariatrebenherbs.com/. Maria Treben was an expert herbalist from Austria. I have her book and use it continually to find herbal tonics for my health. 




















2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these herbs. I've never used mallow or plantain. I will have to add them to my collection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your very welcome Janne, nice to hear from you! I'd love to hear if you have any herbs that you've used and found to be helpful :)

    ReplyDelete