Monday, 28 January 2013

Ayruvedic Medicine

While I wait for replies to see if I'm a candidate for Adult Stem Cell Transplant (ADST) and Phage Therapy, negotiate costs, fill out applications, medical record releases, organise passports, do blood tests (mine and siblings), sputum tests, DNA being sequenced (important for ADST to know your DNA) all the while weighing up my options. I am still busy doing what I can to increase my chances of success and improve my health.

Don't for a second think I have given away my belief in the power of little healthy helpers. It's somewhat similar to that story of David and Goliath, the young lad takes on this gladiator type only to win with a tiny stone! I have always been amazed at how doing lot's of small things come together to become one powerful thing. Like an army! I have been adding several new things to my routine. The next few entries will be all about it... My most recent addition to my troops is Haritaki Terminalia Chebula. Click this link to read the story where I first learnt about Haritaki: sepiamutiny.com

Haritaki plant


On a side note I LOVE how India send  post!! It's the designer in me; the delivery was hand stitched covered muslin clothe. Absolutely charming, made me feel like I was receiving something very special from a unique part of the Empire. I didn't want to open it because of it's so uncommon to receive such a parcel!

                                              
Haritaki package direct from Mumbai


Back to the point: I started taking Haritaki last week for the first time after learning quiet a bit about this wonderful herb. It's been used in India for centuries in Ayurvedic Medicine. Years ago as a young teen I had an ayruvedic doctor and had reasonable results. I had other health issues that I have detoxed and now with an adult mind understand what I need to do.


An interesting YouTube video about Triphla; an Ayruvedic combination, including Haritaki


Haritaki is generally known for it's effect on the intestines. Traditionally used for heart, arthritis, asthma, colon, ulcers and parasitic conditions. It's an anti-spasmodic, expectorant, anti-fungal. Seems to do everything!... I'll let www.iloveindia.com explain:

"Uses & Benefits of Haritaki
  • Haritaki has laxative, rejuvenative, purgative, astringent and dry properties.
  • The paste of its fruit is effective in reducing swelling, hastening the healing process and cleansing the wounds and ulcers.
  • The paste gives relief to the eyelids, in case of conjunctivitis.
  • Gargling with haritaki decoction helps in stomatitis, oral ulcers and sore throat.
  • It serves as a good astringent for loose gums, bleeding and ulceration in gums.
  • The herb is used in preparing ‘Triphala’ that is used for hair wash, brush teeth in pyorrhea and treat bleeding gums.
  • Regular consumption of haritaki powder, fried in ghee, promotes longevity and boosts energy.
  • It responds well to gastrointestinal ailments, tumors, ascites, piles, enlargement of liver-spleen, worms and colitis.
  • Powdered haritaki, mixed with jaggery, works well in gout.
  • Its powder, when mixed with honey and ghee, is an effective remedy for anemia.
  • Haritaki is combined with sunthi powder and given with hot water to lighten asthma and hiccups.
  • Its decoction, when taken along with honey, is of great help in hepatitis and obesity.
  • The herb improves memory and is salutary in dysuria and urinary stones.
  • Haritaki helps in improving appetite and helps in digestion.
  • It is a good nervine and helps in nervous weakness and nervous irritability and promotes the receiving power of the five senses.
  • Since it is anti-inflammatory and astringent, it is helpful in urethral discharges like spermatorrhea and vaginal discharges like leucorrhea."
It's been a relatively new finding that Haritaki does in fact kill pseudomonas. So I ordered it to give it go. My first thought was 'hang on, the pseudo is in my lungs, hows a powder going to help?' But then I remembered after hearing what one of the Phage doctors said to me "Pseudomonas can be everywhere in your body. We need a stool sample, mucus, blood, urine. Everything." Apparently very often they find pseudo growing in CF patients intestines. Hence why Haritaki is worth it's weight in gold, it'll quietly work away on everywhere!

                                        


The way I take Haritaki (H) powder is: 1 teaspoon in half a cup of water followed (quickly) down by juice. Trust me, have that shooter juice lined up, good old 'H' is very bitter!!! But what doesn't kill you makes you stronger right?! They bring them up tough in India that's for sure, respect! Changes that have happened: well, do you really want me to get into detail's about the loo? Let's just say rotten eggs I have not been eating but somehow producing since starting 'H'? hmmm...(sorry, so gross!) No laxative effects which is good, in fact I'd say it's improved things in that department... feels as though I ate a LOT of fibre! The colour of my cough/phlegm has lightened by a shade too. I feel good with it, no negatives (aside from the taste) glad I'm trying it we'll have to wait to see any long term benefits. A sputum sample was taken just before I started and I will repeat it in a few weeks, I'll let you know if it's a spectacular result. Next time I will write all about my #1 Ayruvedic medicine that I rely on (has been proven to help CF) one I have taken on and off since the 90's: Curcumin

Ready or not pseudo mudda ----- it's my turn to play hard to get. Two can play at this game... 
RELEASE THE HARITAKI!!














No comments:

Post a Comment